Monday, September 21, 2015

Hopscotch Music Festival Day Three - Saturday Day Parties (Raleigh, NC, 9/12/15)

To start off Saturday at Hopscotch, Grandma Sparrow provided a whimsical introduction for Flock of Dimes over at the Pour House.  Click this LINK to see a video of that.

Grandma Sparrow...
After that bit of silliness, Jenn Wasner's beautiful voice was a perfect way to steel oneself for what would be a long, last day and night of Hopscotch.

Flock of Dimes...
While awaiting the "Indie" (east) stage of the outdoor Makers Market day party to kick into gear (and after just missing my last chance to ever see Astro Cowboy, the Wilmington indie-punk band that is sadly no more), I decided to drift over to the "Americana" (west) stage.  Caught a few songs by the rootsy, southern-rocky Michael Rault.  This guy came all the way from Alberta, Canada!  

The variety Hopscotch brings by just stepping a few yards over to another stage is amazing.  It's really the single best thing about this festival.  

Michael Rault on the Makers Market west stage...
Anonymous Hopscotch attendee shops for artisanal dog treats at the Makers Market...
I had hoped to catch another beautiful voice , that of Skylar Gudasz, and maybe Dead Tongues, at the west(ern?) stage later, but I hadn't seen one of my favorites, Jenny Besetzt, in quite a while.  Great great songs, and one of the best drummers of any local combo (they're from Greensboro); also sporting a new keyboard player since last time I saw them.  See the video below for their performance of Always from their debut album, Only.

Jenny Besetzt on the Makers Market east stage...
Some monks walking down Blount St. (no doubt heading home after a hardcore show)...
After the outdoor fun, I had to catch some of what is always among the best day parties at Hopscotch:  the Phuzz Sounds Day Party at the Hive.  Estrangers were another favorite Triad band that I hadn't seen in way too long.  Fun show, and their new(ish) bass player is all over the place.

Estrangers...
Then I was SO glad I stuck around for Naked Gods.  I'd only seen this Boone, NC, band once before, and a long time ago.  I liked'em that time.  But this was simply an AMAZING show.  Singer Seth Sullivan casts at once an intimidating and lovable stage presence, a big bear that's as likely to hug you as he is to scream in your face or climb all over you.  He migrated in and out of the crowd as he sang songs that are a much more intense experience live than the jangly psychedelia one hears on record.  

See the video at the bottom of this post... second best show of Hopscotch IMHO.

Naked Gods...
After a brief chill, I headed north again for the close of the day party at Person Street Bar.  There was a full line-up of great bands here earlier, but I had seen See Gulls and Ghostt Bllonde in the previous 2 days (and many times before), and Wild Fur, well, was just too early.  I did, however, catch Schooner.  So my day parties this year ended the way they started, although I only managed to hear Reid Johnson's voice echo through the parking deck as I approached Slim's on Thursday afternoon.  

Notably, this set was Patrick O'Neill's last of 6 (count'em, SIX) sets at Hopscotch this year... with The Wyrms, Schooner (2X), Some Army, Jphono1, who am I forgettin'?  Dwight Yoakum?  X?  Was he backing up Pusha T?  Anyway, O'Neill's playing second guitar to frontman Johnson in the photos below, and he's still standing! (though from what I understand, Reid was havin' a little trouble after this set due to dehydration... glad yer feelin' better dude!).  

Hey, at least summer's over... I think the last Hopscotch day party has become the official National Weather Service indicator of the start of fall.

Schooner...
Here's dem videos.

Jenny Besetzt performing Always on the outdoor stage...

Naked Gods performing Picture in a Picture (the sound quality's not quite as bad if you plug into some decent speakers, but it still ain't great)...

It was a fun last day of day parties, with an even better last night of club shows to come.  Coming up, X, Zack Mexico, and much more...

1 comment:

  1. So impressive post on Hopscotch Music Festival Day! I am sure it was an enjoyable event. I need to host NYE party for my office staff and thinking to hire a popular music band. Do you know any good band that has performed at other corporate events too?

    ReplyDelete