Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Hopscotch 2017 Preview: My Strategy? Pick a Venue and Camp Out

Here's my two bits for the Hopscotch Music Festival 2017 (night shows, a few day party recs at the end).  As you can see by my plan above, I'll be spending much of my time shuttling between Neptune's, Lincoln, and "The Basement" (new “venue” at the Convention Center).  If you like indie-pop and general quirkiness, the Neptune's bill is stacked all 3 days.  I'm kind of ignoring the big outdoor shows because, well, you all know about those and they don't really conflict with the nighttime club shows.  If you came to see Solange, you're gonna see Solange

I start my Thursday seeing Zack Mexico frontman John Saturley doing a solo thing at the Fletcher Opera House.  John, do I have to wear a tux? :)  His solo material is all over the place; as weird as Zack Mex, but softer and leaning more on production (for all I know, he’s just gonna be up on that big stage with a keyboard and computer, which is fine by me).   The I head to Neptune’s for local dance/sax thing Reflex Arc, followed by the wonderful synth-pop of Durham’s Moon Racer (with real drums!).  Her songs make my brain swoon.  After Neptune’s, I’ll probably head straight to the Basement to camp out for the rest of the night.  This gives me my first hard choice: Phuzz Records’ the Tills play at the Pour House in between the psych-weirdness of fellow Ashevillians Nest Egg and Oh Sees (or is it OCS, or still Thee Oh Sees?) at the Basement.  Did I mention Brian Jonestown Massacre close?  And the bands before Nest Egg are no slouches.  The Basement show Thursday night is really among the most solid of the festival.  Bring earplugs to this one.  (hopefully, the Basement is bigger than CAM, and the in-demand shows there won’t fill up so quick)  

Friday night, if I’m not watching Future Islands at City Plaza, I might catch Albert Adams (Nash Hall) and Iggy Cosky (King’s).  But my Friday club shows will probably start at Neptune’s, as I'm very much looking forward to Asheville's Aunt Sis.  Their album "These People" is unexpectedly catchy, given the general moodiness of the tunes. Kinda Pavement-y with acoustic pickin’.  This leads me to my second tough choice; Greensboro's The Kneads play at the same time at Deep South.  Their brand spankin' new album, "When Nothing's Going Right, Go Left", continues the catchy wordplay and indie-rock of their debut, but songs like "A+ In Apathy" and "7 Hours" steer them towards more straight-ahead punk waters.  Then, similar to Thursday, Friday will probably have me camping out at a big venue to ensure admittance (and save my feet).  The Lincoln is loaded all night.  NC bands Acid Chaperone and Museum Mouth kick it off with psychedelic drones and poppy punk, respectively.  Then, Preoccupations bring angular new wave from Canada, followed by Afghan Whigs, one of the few ‘90s band that’s consistently cranked out new and evolving music.  I might just catch’em all, unless I decide to pop back into Neptune’s for a little softer indie from Baltimore's Snail Mail.   But across downtown, you have another big-venue/stacked-bill at CAM:  Bodykit, Konvoi, Mourn, & Protomartyr.   So it’s hard to go wrong.  

Saturday will likely have me picking up where I left off the night before, at Lincoln.  Local mathy/punky duo Naked Naps open, followed by Advance Base (he of Casiotone for the Painfully Alone).  Then back to maybe spend the rest of the night at Neptune’s:  local punks Truth Club (pretty sure the singer from Astro Cowboy), great poppy indie-punk from Cende, and closer buzz-act Japanese Breakfast.  The latter may have been hella overplayed by KNC, but her/their music holds up.  If you can’t tell, I’ve been a sucker for the soft, bedroom pop lately.  Maybe it’s my antidote for the times.  Given the size of Neptune’s, this is one of those Hopscotch-closing shows that might fill up an act or two before (part of why I’m settling in there).  But if I get locked out, backups include Mannequin Pussy at Slim’s and Cherry Glazerr at Pour House.  They can’t ALL be one-in, one-out, can they?!  If so, experimental duo Buke and Gase up the street from Pour House, at Nash Hall, could make for a nice bring-me-down after 3 nights of shows.  

I don’t know, Mannequin Pussy promises to strip the paint off the walls of everybody’s fave shotgun bar.  Slim’s will be a sweat-fest for that one!  Guess it depends on the mood I’m in about 11:00 Sat night.  

As for the day parties, I can only make Saturday this year... except maybe to run straight from work Thursday and Friday nights to catch my personal favorites ET Anderson and Zack Mexico, respectively (both at 6:00 at Boxcar).  They're each worth missing the big outdoor shows, and they're both FREE!  Both also play a great day party Saturday at the Pour House:  Big Ed's Bloody Brunch.  That features those two bands, Acid Chaperone, Reese McHenry & the Fox, and a slew of great bands upstairs and downstairs.  To Be Heard Booking also has a great day party at Deep South (The Veldt, Wild Fur, Lacy Jags, Al Riggs, Konvoi, etc.).  And the Maywood has Flash Car, Wailin Storms, and Acid Chaperone.  The Kneads also play a day show early at Crank Arm.  But while I can't make it, I'd be remiss to at least not mention the 4th Annual Potluck Rock'n'Roll Pizza Party at Slim's on Thursday.  It's loaded with all yer favorite local talent from Potluck.  Plus, Lilly's Pizza!

Enjoy yer Hopscotch everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment