Wednesday, September 20, 2017

Hopscotch Music Festival - Friday (9/8/17)

My Friday Hopscotch started the same-bat-time, same-bat-place as my Thursday, the last day party show at BoxCar.  Like ET Anderson on Day 1, Zack Mexico are also a band of friends, and often share stages (sometimes as the same band, see ET Mexico).  Zack Mex was great as usual, and I'll report again on both of these bands' shows at the Pour House's Saturday day party.  Their fan base is growing, and they drew a solid day party show crowd.... of course, nothing like what they'll be drawing when they open for Future Islands on a European tour starting in October.

Zack Mexico...
Gotta say, Jamie, kudos on the sunglasses...

To formally start the evening's festivities, I head over to City Plaza to check out Future Islands' set, and caught the end of the Make-Up's set, who I was mildly interested in seeing.  Okay, very retro.  I got the same feeling I had after the Brian Jonestown Massacre set the night before:  a lot of people sure seem to wanna go back to the UK circa 1967.  Hey, I felt that way once.  

The Make-Up...
Onto the mighty Future Islands!  They made no secret of the fact that as much as they consider themselves a Baltimore band, they call North Carolina home.  They've played many a Hopscotch, on progressively bigger stages.  But Sam Herring has always kept that connection with the fans.  Ferocious and friendly onstage, he had the crowd mesmerized and energized, as usual.   

Future Islands...
Next up, I walked back to Neptune's for what was another of my most-anticipated sets, Asheville's Aunt Sis.  One of the great things about Hopscotch is I "discover" NC bands that I haven't gotten around to seeing (even as many shows as I go to).  They have a Pavement-y feel, but more rootsy, with some great guitar pickin'.  I also hear a hint of Mountain Goats, the Verlaines...  Sounding rather mellow on record, their live show was (as is often the case) amped up, giving a whole new perspective on their sound.

Aunt Sis...
I didn't stay very long for Brooklyn's Bellows.  Not because I wasn't interested, but you know... Hopscotch choices.  I liked what I heard though.  They were sort or in the same vein as Aunt Sis, maybe a little mellower live.  Their drummer kicked ass.

Bellows...
So the choice was that I wanted to see Canada's Preoccupations, followed by Afghan Whigs, over at the Lincoln.  WOW!  Preoccupations sound so angular and math-y on record (though I do like their reecorded stuff).  Live though, they're an explosion; much more visceral.  The usual thing, live more amped up... but to another degree here.  And talk about drummers kicking ass, no one can hold a candle to this guy.  He's a monster!  Preoccupations are like Interpol if Interpol was still good.  

Preoccupations...
Afhgan Whigs came to show the kids how it's done.  They seemed to play mostly newer stuff... and why not if you're continuing to make good music (and the Whigs have never really stopped).  Too bad they didn't bring along upfront/backup singer Steve Myers, a fellow zinester and KLSU DJ from back in the day.  But the show was great.  They DID bring up Har Mar Superstar to sing along on a tune!  He had just done a set at the massive Basement, which I hear it was great.  

Afghan Whigs...
Whenever the hell I get around to it (prob at least not until the weekend... yes, two full weeks after Hopscotch), I'll follow up with posts on the Saturday shows, day and night.  Gimme a break!  I work for a livin'!! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment