Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Hopscotch Music Festival - Saturday Day Parties (9/9/17)

Saturday was my first chance to catch day parties, most of which would be part of Big Ed's Bloody Brunch at the Pour House.  However, I started with a quick stop at Kings for the OCSC/Merge Records day party, and Skylar Gudasz.  Skylar's excellent debut, Oleander, has been a calming soundtrack to what has been a tumultuous last year for me--politically and personally.  This early afternoon (although I only caught a few tunes at the end), she played what sounded like mostly new stuff.  Just as good, as I'm sure her next release will be.

Skylar Gudasz...
Next, it was over to Pour House for the rest of the afternoon (although I missed some great shows at the Merge gig... gotta get around to seeing Bat Fangs!).  Wailin' Storms provided, shall we say, a slightly different experience than Gudasz.  Once I recovered from the whiplash, I enjoyed their  metallic brand of punk.  Despite the early hour, it still worked.  Woke me up, that's for sure.

Wailin' Storms...
The great thing about the Pour House day party the last couple of years is that there are non-stop shows, alternating between upstairs and downstairs.  So it was a quick jaunt to the second floor to see Albert Adams, a drum-bass duo of Jordan Adams and Thomas (Albert) McNeely, the latter of whom has been lighting fires with the sticks as Jenny Besetzt's drummer lately.  Hyper-energetic, complex rhythms crashed non-stop in the bright daylight.  I'll say though, urging for people to get up and move was maybe a little too early... most of yer audience was still getting over their Hopscotch Friday hangovers!

Albert Adams...
Then back downstairs, my faves from down Columbia way, ET Anderson, showed off their new line-up.  As good as the Thursday day show.  If you haven't yet, go see this band!  Plus, the new line-up has definitely upped their hair game. :)

ET Anderson...
Back up the steps, for another (this time guitar-bass) duo:  Reese McHenry and the Fox.  Another scorching drummer, and in McHenry, one of the strongest, most soulful rock voices in the Triangle today.  Heard she had an incredible set singing with Spider Bags at Slim's the day before.

Reese McHenry and the Fox...
Next up (downstairs) was Acid Chaperone.  I missed their nighttime set at the Lincoln on Thursday, but yet another good thing about Hopscotch is:  miss one show, catch their later show.  Been a while since seeing them... maybe Halloween almost a year ago.  Noticed the keyboards a lot more this time (prob 'cuz they were right in front of me, and I wasn't wearing a wolf mask).  Great great set.

Acid Chaperone...
I can't really write more about Zack Mexico than I've written already on this blog.  Always fun, always good songs, crowd loves them more and more each time.  Hopefully they're about to earn a few thousand new European fans as they tour the Continent with Future Islands in October.

The surf's always up at a Zack Mexico show..
Tommy and Brett hang twenty...
Next (last) up, Saturday night.  Oh, and quite a few videos I haven't even looked at yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment